During this warm weather we all know it’s important to keep hydrated. Dehydration can lead to lack of focus, concentration and energy which are essential, especially if you are exercising. However, water can get a bit boring and a lot of my clients struggle to drink it. Luckily there are lots of different, healthy, tasty ways to stay hydrated rather than opting for fizzy, high sugar or artificial sugar drinks.
- Natural fruit flavoured water- water doesn’t always have to be plain. Add some fruit, herbs and/or veg to add some flavour and added benefits. Try adding lemons, limes, berries, cucumber, mint etc. These fruits, especially lemons, help your body detoxify as well as increase its alkalinity.
- Coconut water- Coconut water is very high in electrolytes such as potassium, sodium, calcium and other minerals. Because of this it can rehydrate you better than water! It may be better at replacing lost fluids than a sports drink or water so great to take to training or a competition! Coconut water is isotonic to human plasma, therefore can be used in emergencies to quickly rehydrate the human body. In third world countries it’s not uncommon for it to be used to save lives. If you don’t like coconut water try adding it to smoothies and juices so you still get all the benefits.
- Green juices- Fruits and vegetables have a high water content so when they’re juiced you get all that liquid plus all the nutrients to help hydrate you from within. Cucumber is a great vegetable to add to your juices at it has a very high percentage of water. Try cucumber, apple, celery and lemon for a refreshing juice.
- Herbal teas- If you don’t like the taste of water try cold herbal teas. You can blend them with ice and a bit of honey, add them into your smoothie, or just drink them cold like a squash!
- Kombucha- This is a great alternative to fizzy pop. Kombucha is a fermented drink so it is full of beneficial bacteria. So as well as hydrating you, this drink will also help replenish your gut bacteria…how good is that?? It also tastes great!
Enjoy the summer and stay hydrated!