Your skin is an expression of what is happening inside your body. Hormones, gut health, hydration etc. can all affect your skin. I constantly have to work on keeping my skin healthy as I am prone to spots around the chin. I link this to my past hormonal issues (click HERE if you want to read about this). When I am 100% on clean nutrition, sleeping at least 8 hours a night, relaxed and drinking lots of hydrating fluids, my skin is so much better and glowing.
Here are some of my tips to glowing skin-
- Hydrate - aim for 2-3 litres a day and more if exercising. Water flushes out toxins that can cause breakouts and dull skin! I always recommend clients to drink at least 2 pints of filtered water as soon as they get up and then carry water with them throughout the day.
- Eat good fats - fats are essential for balancing hormones and have a powerful anti-inflammatory action. Consume fats such as oily fish, ground flaxseeds, eggs, chia seeds, avocado, nuts and seeds.
- Eat foods with lots of antioxidants- these are powerful phyto-chemicals the helps your body fight disease and ageing by reducing inflammation. Therefore…less wrinkles :-) These include all fruits and vegetables, but also nuts, seeds, raw cacao, green tea.
- Remove dairy from your diet - dairy contains natural hormones from cows.These hormones cause more oil to be produced in glands and pores on the skin, leading to acne. It’s also inflammatory which can lead to ageing skin and breakouts.
- Exfoliate - use a dry skin brush or pad to remove dead cells, improve circulation and lymphatic drainage.
- Limit or remove toxic, chemical laden make up and products - I like Green People and Neals Yard.
- Sleep at least 8 hours a night - this is will give your body chance to regenerate new cells.
- Focus on gut health - make your you’re eliminating toxics effectively and you have plenty of good bacteria!
If you would like to keep up to date with blogs and recipes, please fill out the form below to sign up to my newsletter.