It seems to be the peak season for colds and flus at the moment! Everyone seems to be coming down with something….even me, and I hardly ever get ill!
So I thought it would be good to give my top tips to beat a cold so you can either try to prevent catching one, or to help your immune system fight it off!
- Drink lots - its important to stay hydrated, so make sure you’re drinking at least 3 litres a day.
- Give your body rest - make sure you’re not rushing around in the fight and flight nervous system. You need to rest your body so it has the opportunity to focus its energy on the immune system. This means sleep at least 8 hours a night, and possibly choosing a relaxing bath over going to the gym.
- Use essential oils - as soon as I get ill I get out my kit of oils! I rub them on the soles of my feet as this is the most porous part of the body. Oregano is my favourite to boost the immune system, but I also use a great blend called ‘On Guard’ from Doterra. They also do great lozenges to help your throat and your immune system.
- Eat health meals - obviously this is essential even when you’re not ill, but it’s even more important when you are. Include lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, with lots of green! Also include some good quality protein and fats. Also include lots of raw garlic (if you can stomach it!) which is a great anti-viral. Stay away from inflammatory and mucous forming foods such as dairy and sugar.
- Take supplements - supplements such as vitamin C, zinc and probiotics are all great for fighting off the flu. Make sure they are good quality, practitioner grade supplements.
If you follow these simple tips you should start to feel better pretty quickly :-)
If you would like to keep up to date with recipes and blogs, please fill in the form below to sign up to my newsletter.